• Join Other Nomads From All Over The World!

The mission of The Nomad Forum is to inspire and connect people all over the globe to live a life of own choice and with true potential. Freedom is something you earn. It isn’t granted to you. When living The Nomad Lifestyle presented by and lived by the members of The Nomad Forum, you will earn your freedom by becoming a valuable citizen of the world.

The Nomad Lifestyle is not something you “try”, it’s something you live.

Elevate your lifestyle, connect with other awesome and inspiring digital nomads. Join The Nomad Forum now!

Register now

Digital Nomad, What Did You Think When You First Heard About It?

Bodahir

Hustler
Staff
Premium Member
Reaction score
From
🇳🇱Netherlands
When was the first time I heard about the term digital nomad, and what did I thought about it, back then?
My first time was when I read the 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. He wasn't coining the term digital nomad, but the term "New Riches". Those who are relatively rich, earn $10,000 per month via a business system, and trade material possessions in for life experiences. I thought that's great when I heard that. But something seemed flawed with this system. Because you still had to do a little bit of work every month. I was more focussed on creating a business, then selling it, and putting the money in passive investments so I could travel around the world freely. So that's what I set out to do.

After I earned enough money through online trading, I decided to do it and travel around the world. I found out about the term "digital nomad" while I was traveling. I thought it was silly. What's the fun of working 5 days a week in another country, far away from your families and friends, while having to keep your lifestyle at a low cost? That still seems like a slave existence to me.

And I was right. Most digital nomads do live a slave existence. They might be "free" in the weekends, or are their own boss. But they still work 4-6 days a week. They don't have a plan for the future. And to me that's asking for troubles. Because it lacks responsibility. When your job/business suffer, you suffer. When you need to work full-time, even in a beautiful place like Bali or Thailand, you're still a slave to the system.

Now I like the term digital nomad more. Because I met many great DNs with a great entrepreneurial mindset. But most haven't yet found out the right way to escape the rat race, to freedom. And that's why I'm so passionate about this forum. Because it will help people find the right way. And therefore I have to put in the work. That's not something I must do because I'm dependent on it for making me money. I do it because I choose to do it. Why? Because I seek freedom first through a money system. And when I got my freedom I started to do the things I like. Not the other way around.

What did you think when you first heard about the term digital nomad?

Belgiantourist

Backpacker
Reaction score
From
🇧🇪Belgium
When I first heard about the term "Digital Nomad" I think of it as an amazing concept. Traveling around the world and earning money at the same time while working from your laptop.

Then I figured out what needed to be done in order to be a digital nomad. And I found out it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I had to automate my work and restructure it, so I could work remotely. This was very simple since I already worked from "home".

Most of the times when I work, I go to coffee shops and cafes. Because I need to have people around me while I work. And these days, 99% of the places have free wi-fi.

So to me it sounded like a honeymoon. And that still is these days. Even after 8 years.

Top Bottom