• Join Other Nomads From All Over The World!

The mission of The Nomad Forum is to inspire and connect people all over the globe to live a life of own choice and with true potential. Freedom is something you earn. It isn’t granted to you. When living The Nomad Lifestyle presented by and lived by the members of The Nomad Forum, you will earn your freedom by becoming a valuable citizen of the world.

The Nomad Lifestyle is not something you “try”, it’s something you live.

Elevate your lifestyle, connect with other awesome and inspiring digital nomads. Join The Nomad Forum now!

Register now

TRAVEL REPORT Bodahir's Business & Travel Report

Bodahir

Hustler
Staff
Premium Member
Reaction score
From
🇳🇱Netherlands
Dear Fellow Nomad,

A short introduction. My name is Marek, from The Netherlands. Currently I am traveling the world, but staying mostly in North Canggu, Bali. Yes, I live on 'The Island of Gods'. It's truly an amazing place to stay. The spirit is just great. But damn, sometimes it's too hot here 🥵.

Anyway. I want to keep track of a business and travel report. Why? Because I think it's a lot of fun.

Let's start from the beginning
So I've been active in forums for quite a long time. Of course not on this forum, because it's founded in 2019. More on that later.
As I said I've been active on many forums:

• Different forums for growing my own little green marihuana in The Netherlands (yes, it's legel there).
  • Forums for personal development.
  • On a Poker forum.
  • On various business forums.
And I can tell you one thing. I loved it! Why? Because of the interaction I get with so many people. And there is no obligation at all... If you don't want to respond to someone then you don't have to. If you want to express your opinion of which you think it's a little bit odd... Nobody will look at you for being rude or impolite.

I've met some amazing people.

And I think the greatest benefit is that I can connect with people and pick their brains from all over the world, and sometimes with very intelligent people that I otherwise wouldn't have met. That's the power of online forums for me.

Traveling
When I started traveling in July of 2019, I never could have imagined what my life would be later. So many things has changed.

It all started for me in 2016 when I was traveling for the first time in my life alone. After a Tony Robbins event in the USA, I decided to go to Panamá. It would be my big "jump" in my life. I had no plan. The only thing I had was a 20gr bar of gold, 600 euro to my name, and a burning desire to build a business.

My plan was as following. I would go there, with half of my backpack filled with books (around 20+) about self-help, business and motivation and 30+ podcast episodes on my phone. Then I would figure out there how to start an online business.

The first day I arrived in Panamá-City I was terrified... after a 24 hour trip I sat down on the boulevard looking over the skyline of the city, wondering myself: now what?

I had no idea how I would make money. I knew I could play poker online, but that wasn't enough, and too risky with the capital I had. Then I started to volunteer in a Hostel in Boquete. It would at least cover my costs of stay and a little bit of food costs. But I was living very unhealthy back then. I was vegan, and I was seriously damaging my body.

At that time I was very skinny. Lost a lot of weight. And people kept saying to me I had to eat more protein. I wouldn't listen, but they were right. And the worst was that I was very anxious in general

So after 6 weeks I decided to go back to The Netherlands. It felt as a failure to myself because I said to my friends and family that I would go away at least for 6 months. But actually I only felt as a failure to them. In the back of my mind I knew I gained a lot of wisdom. And I had an even bigger desire now to go out and do business in The Netherlands.

The seed was planted back then... I knew that when I had enough money, I would go travel again. It took me another 3 years for it to wait.

3 years later
In the meantime I found a girlfriend. And I learned myself how I to day trade. That gave me a little bit of money. And it learned me a very big lesson. That lesson was that if you want to learn something you can learn anything you want, as long as you set your mind to it.

My girlfriend and I broke up. And after that I got a little bit into a depression. I knew I had to do something to get out of that. So I was working really hard on improving myself. And it was also then that I made the decision to travel again.

To make that decision was not easy. Why? Because I was afraid of what happend the first time. That I would fail myself to others again. It was only when I realised that this is all in my head that I decided to just go.

So I went.

I quit paying my rent. Put all my stuff in a storage box and booked a one way ticket to South East Asia. That was in July 2019.

When I arrived in Bangkok, Thailand I was excited. This time I knew it was different... I had a plan. I had no expectations. And I was damn happy to leave my country. Not because I wanted to escape, but because I didn't enjoyed it anymore. I don't like what I see there. But that's a topic I don't want to start here.

The birth of a forum
Because I was retired from day trading I looked into other ventures. I'm a business man, so I like to build companies and businesses. I started a podcast and a blog. But after three months it didn't got any traction and I got bored. I just didn't liked it anymore. So I wanted to start an online forum for entrepreneurs. But not just a forum. A forum to inspire people. My drive in life is to inspire people. That's what I want to do here.

So I built this forum. But then I spoke to so many people on my trip, and they all asked me what I did. Then I would say that I was building a forum for entrepreneurs (the same people I spoke with) but that it's only in Dutch. I would see the disappointment in their face. Or it was just me projecting that.

But the thing was... I felt like I was lying to myself by creating this forum. I wasn't really providing value. I was just copying someone else's work.

Eventually someone said to me that if it was in English he would have joined the forum. It was this conversation that triggered me to go another route. Just 24 hours later The Nomad Forum was born. A cool, hip, inspiring online community for business, lifestyle, purposeful minded people that want to connect and discuss subjects about digital nomadism.

Finally something that has real value to people!

Travel Report
At this moment I live in Canggu, Bali. But not permanently. I can not say that since I'm traveling all over the place. Since I started traveling I've been in many places:
  • Bangkok, Thailand
  • Taipei, Taiwan
  • North Sumatra, Indonesia (Banda Aceh, Pulau Weh (Sabang), Medan, Bukit Lawang, Lake Toba (Samosir), Padang)
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Singapore
Currently I stay in Canggu till the 24th of October. After that I will go to Pekanbaru to visit my girlfriend and do a program with the school she works at. This is how my schedule will look like for the coming month:

17 OctoberUbud, Bali
24 OctoberPekanbaru, Sumatra, Indonesia
31 OctoberKuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 NovemberHanoi, Vietnam
15 NovemberBali, Indonesia

I will post more later on and things in more detail and with pictures.

Bodahir

Hustler
Staff
Premium Member
Reaction score
From
🇳🇱Netherlands
So at this moment I am writing my story on a note that I would like to share with you guys. My story is a very inspiring story... But it takes a lot of time to write. My fingers are hurting of writing! I will get back to it tomorrow and post it here, or in another thread. But I keep you posted.

The upcoming days I will be at the event Nomads for Change. There are a lot of speakers there. And it's a great opportunity to talk about The Nomad Forum.

Bodahir

Hustler
Staff
Premium Member
Reaction score
From
🇳🇱Netherlands
PekanBaru, Sumatra, Indonesia
Pekanbaru.jpeg

The past few days I've been doing a school program for Indonesian kids. And let me tell you this: it was amazing!

When I arrived in the school I was completely surprised. Around 800 students, between the age 4 and 19, awaited me at the entrance gate. They did a whole ceremony for me. It felt as if I was the president. At first it made me a little bit uncomfortable, because everybody was constantly looking at me and smiling.
Then the next days I joined the school with all types of programs. The students prepared a dance, songs and in the evening a huge campfire! With another ceremony.
Then the next two days I teached them about the school system in my country and 'how to start a business'. In between I was constantly making selfies with the students and even the teachers. Haha.
The last day I teached a small class about "How to step out of your comfortzone". They loved it!

What I liked the most was how happy the students were. In terms of Western standards the school and equipment was very basic. But they had everything they needed. And they were one of the most happiest kids I've ever seen!

In between there was also a presentation from Yakult. And I witnessed how this is just first class marketing/propaganda. I didn't liked that to see it. These innocent kids are just exposed to advertising/marketing. From a business perspective though I think it's an amazing tool!

The school wasn't what I expected it to be. It was completely different from the school system in The Netherlands. And teachers were just slapping students (which I think is good. Haha and it was actually funny. The kids were more disciplined. Hit a kid as a tutor in The Netherlands and you lose your job...

Overall it was an amazing experience. I will always cary it with me 😊

Next stop is Kuala Lumpur!

Bodahir

Hustler
Staff
Premium Member
Reaction score
From
🇳🇱Netherlands
Kuala Lumpur
A few days spend in Kuala Lumpur. This was my second time in the city. I met a good friend, who I met before in KL and in Bali. He's an awesome dude, a hustler. He has a good running shop on the famous street in Jl Alor. Very cool guy. Thanks for having me again in KL friend!

Hanoi
Then I flew with my girlfriend to Vietnam 🇻🇳. It was my first time here.
I was really amazed how good everything is organised here. And the food is also of very high quality.
At first I had some difficulties with converting the Vietnamese Dong (VND) to EUR. Because I was used to the Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) which also has a lot of zeros. But it became quickly easier. I paid for a meal between 4 to 6 euros. I don't budget on my meals.
Because I love meat, I go out to steak houses very often. And I would pay between 15 to 25 euro for a 400 - 500 gram steak, or 1kg pork ribs It's not cheap, but it's not expensive to me either. The most delicious breakfast we had at Lifted Coffee & Brunch! They have amazing eggs, sausages, cheese and bacon! 🥓

Ha Long Bay
We did a one night/two day trip to Ha Long Bay. Wow, what an amazing nature this place has! We paid $95 for the whole tour. Our meals were served and we went to the viewpoint of Ha Long bay. During the night there was some entertainment. And the rooms were very comfortable. But the best thing was the boat ride. I was sitting on the front deck and just enjoying the amazing view!

PHOTO-2019-11-10-10-27-07.jpg

There is a funny story about the bus trip back to Hanoi I would like to tell. On the way back the guide asked if we wanted to take the express way. This would cost an additional 1,000,000 VND ($43). Divided by 31 persons it would only cost a fraction. So everybody agreed. But I already found it strange that:
  1. The toll price was a round number, which is almost never the case.
  2. For a 2,5h ride it seemed pretty expensive to me.
Then four people stepped into the bus, I think it were Vietnamese people. Then the guide asked again if we wanted to take the express way. But he said four people said they don't want to pay. I immediately thought of the four people that just stepped into the bus. But okay, everybody agreed.

I decided to pay attention to the driver how much toll he pays. It was easy since I was sitting in the front. Then we pass a toll gate for the bridge and he pays 60,000 VND. Then we pass another gate which he only gets a ticket from. And then finally another gate where he pays 350,000 VND. So I asked myself where the other 590,000 VND will be paid. Obviously the driver didn't since we were already back in Hanoi.

Then the guide starts to talk to the group again and says a thank you word and wishes us all the best health in the world. At the end he begins to talk about the toll again, because we still had to pay. So I tap him on his shoulder and ask in private for clarification. Well and then it happened. He said the driver paid 150,000 VND somewhere else before. So I asked for the ticket.

He couldn't gave it to me. Only the 350,000 VND and 60,000 VND ticket. Then he explained that because we drive faster they have to put more oil into it, so that's where the rest goes to. Then I got mad. I said to him that it's ridiculous to pay 590,000 VND for oil when the bus driver isn't going faster than 70 km/ph (I checked it). This idea was already insane, and if so, he should have told us beforehand, of course he was trying to find himself a way out of his own scam.

He ignored me and started to talk to the group again. I wasn't done with him, so I interrupted him when he explained to the group that we basically had to pay for the oil. I said it's madness to pay for the oil, even when the driver isn't going faster than 70 km/ph. And that would not cost 590,000 VND. And then he said this:

We didn't have to pay him anymore. He would pay for all of us. So of course he felt trapped.

I said I still want to pay him, but only my fair amount. No no no, he said. He would pay. Whatever I thought. But people in the bus already said they still want him to pay. Ok, then that's on them I thought. I did my thing, and if other people want to pay him his marked up amount, then that's fine. Their foolishness is not my responsibility.

My girlfriend said she was praying for a signal that he was lying. Soon the guide stumbled when he wanted to grab his bag in front of us. When we left the bus and my girlfriend wanted to give him the fair amount he refused to take it from us...

Hoi An
We decided to take the plane to Da Nang and go to Hoi An from there. I wanted to take the train ride, but it would take us 16 hours. That's too long for me.
Arriving in Da Nang I was surprised again. This time by the urban planning. The roads all very wide and lot's of space for traffic. It had a very American style of urbanisation. And everything was very clean. This surprises me everywhere in Vietnam!
Hoi An is a very cute little town with Japanese and Chinese influence. It's an old trading port and now turned into a tourist spot. They have a lot of nice cafes, restaurants and small boutique hotels. The streets are very nice with all the lanterns.

PHOTO-2019-11-10-10-34-49.jpg

We did a cycling tour through the country side. My girlfriend never drove a bicycle before. I said it will be fine. Haha, but the guide said it would be better if she practices more, so I had to take her on the back. We went to see a temple, sleeping mat weaver and a rice noodle farmer 🍜. We did the weaving and noodle steaming ourselves which was a really great experience. I like to not only see things, but also DO things.

After Hoi An we went to Marble Mountains and Ba Na hills. Both were very beautiful, but after a while I got very exhausted of all the damn tourist. I simply don't like tourists and tourist spots anymore. I don't see the point in making 1,000s of pictures of the same thing and never watching it again. People are so lost with their smartphones (including me sometimes). And that became so clear again when I visited these places. I don't enjoy doing these things anymore. My girlfriend does, because for her it's something she only does once a year. But for me, no thanks.

Next we took the night train from Da Nang to Nha Trang. And that's where I'm writing you from now.

That concludes my trip so far. I did some business while I was traveling. But not as much as I would do at home or when I stay in one place. So after this I'm happy to go back to Bali and focus on business 100% again 😁.

It's very rainy here in Da Nang. I expected sun and a nice beach. But it's grey and rain all the time. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, but it doesn't look that way. So I will enjoy myself with business in a cafe somewhere 😁.

Top Bottom